Top tips - MOD 1 slalom & figure-of-eight
The MOD 1 slalom and figure-of-eight exercise involves rider balance – plus good control of the clutch, rear brake and throttle. Adequate revs and a steady speed is essential. Students should keep their focus as far ahead as possible, rather than on the closest cone. The slalom is around the five yellow cones. The figure-of-eight then follows – around the two blue cones. Prior instructor-led MOD 1 slalom and figure-of-eight practice is highly advisable.
Steering wide in the figure-of-eight reduces the risk of putting a foot down. During this whole exercise, students should not use the front brake. To carry out the MOD 1 slalom and figure-of-eight:
- Bike off stand, sit on bike & start-up
- Select 1st gear, carry out rear observations
- Look & ride forward using slow control
- Look ahead as much as possible
- Slalom between yellow cones
- Two figure-of-eight’s around blue cones
- Do not ride tight circles – go wide
- When instructed, ride-out & stop
- Select neutral & await further instructions
Module One tip sheets
Resources do not substitute professional motorcycle training and are subject to our terms.