Riders should not stay in the overtaking lane
Motorcycle riders should use the driving lane (left-hand lane) and only use the overtaking lane (right-hand lane) when overtaking single vehicles or other slower moving traffic. Riders should not stay in the overtaking lane for longer than is necessary and once the single vehicle overtake is complete, they should move back to the left-hand lane.
Indicate early and let it flash at least 5-6 times
When moving out for overtaking single vehicles, ensure it is safe to do so with regular mirror checks to gather information behind. Indicate early and let it flash at least 5-6 times to make other vehicles aware of the intention to change lanes. When it is safe, carry out a ‘lifesaver’ to move out – cancel signal, complete the overtake and when clear of the slower vehicle, take a mirror check and ‘lifesaver’ over the left shoulder to move back in.
Key points to remember:
- Maintain at least two seconds from the vehicle in front
- Signal early and let it flash at least 5-6 times
- Effective mirror checks and a right ‘lifesaver’ to move out
- Cancel signal and complete the overtake
- Once clear carry out a left ‘lifesaver’ to move back in
Module Two tip sheets
Resources do not substitute professional motorcycle training and are subject to our terms.